Frequently Asked Questions

I can’t speak Chinese. Is that a problem?

You can teach English in China without knowing how to speak Chinese. Students expect to get immersed in English during class and so speaking Chinese is actually discouraged in class. You will not need to speak Chinese or translate the language to the students if you present it in such a way that they can understand. For this, proper planning and use of realia can be crucial. Often there is the option of having a Chinese teaching assistant to help with giving instructions and translating if need be, especially for young learner classes.

Where in China do you place teachers and in what schools?

We recruit for government/public primary, middle and high school in many cities of China. There’s no need to worry about that as all of our partner government/public schools with good conditions.

What’s the next step after my Skype interview?

1. During most Skype interviews, we are able to tell you during the interview if we’d like to work with you to get you a job in China.
2. You tell us during the interview or later if you want us to move ahead and start submitting your information to our partner schools in China.
3. If you agree, we will submit your resume, photo, and video clips from our interview to one or more of our candidate schools.
4. Schools will also need a copy of the photo page of your passport and photos of any college diplomas you have(IF) so please get those to us asap and collect the originals to bring with you to China. If you don’t have a passport yet, apply for an EXPEDITED passport immediately. Expediting your passport application costs an extra $30.
5. We will email you about China’s most popular instant messaging app, to install on your phone. Add our Program adviser. We’ll be more responsive to reply you once you have any other questions. Make sure to use a professional-looking photo for your profile photo at least until you have accepted a job because we may also introduce you to schools and our recruiting partners via APP.
6. Some of the schools we work with will make a hiring decision based on our interview of you, but some schools or recruiting partners will want to interview you themselves via Skype so we’ll help arrange those interviews.
7. Receive job offer(s) and accept job: We can get most teachers a school interview or job offer within **** weeks it may take a little longer if you don’t have teaching experience. After you have a job offer, we’ll answer any questions you have about the contract offer that we give you and we can sometimes help you on other concerns you may have.


8. Two to four weeks after you submit your passport photo page, we or our partner school will then send you the documents necessary for you to get a visa at your closest Chinese consulate or embassy. The visa application form will need to be filled in on your computer and then printed because hand-written forms are not accepted. Also, the application must be made in person by you or a visa company, not by mail. Budget $140 for the embassy/consulate plus about $70/£58 if you have to use a visa company. About 3-4 days later, you’ll have your visa. We have partner visa company to support you if you prefer to apply for a visa over their help.
9. After you have your visa (NOT before) you can buy a one-way plane ticket to China. Ask us if you need help finding a cheap flight or the name of the airport nearest of our partner school. All schools will arrange for someone to pick you up at the airport in China. During the next few days a school employee will help you get settled in your new country.

Will I have enough money to support myself?

We offer a competitive salary that provides a good standard of living in China. Teachers generally find that their salary gives them a purchasing power in China that is much stronger than in their home country. It’s possible to live comfortably and save up to half your salary, your life will depend on your own luxury.

Who pays for my flight?

You pay up-front for your flight but most cases our group will provide you flight allowance to cover flight costs after completion of your 12-month contract. If you quit and break your contract, you will not get this money.
If teachers have financial difficulties, our group could cover the cost of the fight ticket beforehand which will be deducted in teachers’ first full scheduled month salary; Teachers will obtain an air ticket allowance 4,000-6,000RMB when one-year service has been completed.

How do I open a bank account in China?

Our staff will take you to open your bank account within the first 3 days of your arrival in China.

What is my daily ATM limit for withdrawing money?

The daily ATM limit is 2,500 RMB. You can use most debit cards in China.

How do I get cell phone service in China?

Our staff will take you to open your cell phone account within the first 3 days of your arrival in China. If you bring a cell phone, getting a Chinese SIM card doesn’t cost much.

How soon will I receive my first paycheck?

You will receive your first paycheck via direct deposit 4-7 weeks after you’ve started teaching. Normally we pay in the second week(10 th -15 th ) of the following month. Salary is paid on a monthly basis, paid in local currency, Chinese RMB.

How much do apartments cost in China? How do I find an apartment in China? What are they like?

Finding an apartment is usually pretty easy. The costs will vary depending on where you live. About almost of our schools will provide our teachers a free nice western-style apartment that they already own or rent for their foreign teachers located on campus or very close to school in 10mins by walk.
We recommend you bring a minimum of $500 to last you till your first paycheck. If you need to rent your own apartment, you may need more because in China most apartments expect payment in advance 3 months at a time and a one-month deposit. So, our kind suggestion is we hope that our teacher could live in campus or our school’s rental apartment.

Are there tutoring jobs available for extra money?

Yes. Once you have started teaching at your school you will probably learn about multiple opportunities for tutoring and other ways to make some quick cash. If you’re a good tutor,you can make about 150 RMB per hour ($22/hour). If you live in a place with few foreigners,your face will stand out and ultimately land you some good opportunities.

How long is my contract?

Your initial contract to teach English in China is 12 months. Sometimes we can get you a 6-month contract but those usually don’t provide completion bonus. Some teachers choose to stay for one or more years, either in China or in another country. You will have approximately 2 months for summer holiday from 15 th of Jun to late August and 1-month winter holiday from 15 th of Jan to 25 th of Feb, during the holiday you will have to make your choice to stay in our school or travel around China, most of our teachers will visit their family members during Summer holiday.

What are my working hours?

Teachers teach 18-25 hours a week. Time is also spent lesson planning and doing other administrative duties. It depends on your qualifications and how many office hours you’ll have.

Is there a dress code?

There is a professional dress code that teachers are expected to comply with. Tattoos must not be visible wearing a short-sleeved shirt, and must be covered at all times. Facial piercings must be removed when at the school. This is the case for your Skype interview too.

What other duties will I have besides teaching English? [Optional]

You’ll probably have to do more than just teach English. Many private English training center jobs (not public school jobs) will require you to do some promotion work, English level checks, office hours and demos. Promotion work is basically just going to a public place like a mall or a library (accompanied by your T.A) and use your foreign face as an ad campaign for the school. You will be expected to talk to kids, smile and maybe do some English level checks for potential new students. Level checks are basically just a series of questions that you will ask students before they start with your school, these questions are written down in such a way so that you can discover what level a student should start at, depending on which questions they were able to answer. Demos are classes created for parents to see what the lessons are like in your school before they pay the enrollment fee. It will generally just be a regular class with parents watching and if you’re good, they will sign up and enlist their child with the school.

How many official holidays off do I get?

Most schools observe 7 Chinese national holidays. They are:
• New Year’s Day: 3 days
• Chinese Spring Festival: 7 days
• Qing Ming Festival: 3 days
• Labor Day: 3 days
• Dragon Boat Festival: 3 days
• Mid-Autumn Festival: 3 days
• National Day: 7 days
Please Note: Substitutions are not permitted in the event a holiday falls on a day you already have off.

Will I have weekends off?

As most of our partner schools are government/public school, normally our teachers will have weekend off besides special schedule when on National holiday.
Saturdays and Sundays are the busiest days at private English training schools (not public schools or preschools) so teachers at these schools are required to work both days. You will receive 2 consecutive days off during the week, to serve as your “weekend”.

Can couples both work as English teachers?

Yes. Couple teachers will be more welcomed to be placed in same school or same city.

What sort of medical tests do I need to complete to teach English in China?

Most teachers need to complete 2 sets of medical exams in order to obtain a working visa for China. The first must be done in your home country. The second series of exams will have to be completed once you are in China. You will need forms completed by your doctor at home. The tests include: ECG, chest X-rays, HIV and syphilis tests and a few others. After you arrive in China, you will need to complete a medical check to secure your work and resident permit. The cost of the physical in China is much cheaper.

Will I need to get any vaccinations before coming to China?

There are no mandatory vaccinations, as all schools are based in large, medium cities.Discuss this with your local doctor.

Do you pay for shipping from city of origin to China? Do you provide storage facilities?

We are unable to provide shipping assistance or storage facilities for belongings.

Can I bring my pet?

We do not provide any assistance or counsel on animal transportation. We recommend that you refer to the Chinese Embassy website to learn more about the requirements.